Monday, October 15, 2007

Back in Black

Alright, i am not even sure if anyone is going to even notice that I am back to blogging....but here I go. If no one makes comments, then I am spamming the hell out of your email boxes to ensure that I get some "blogger love".

I just wanted to get a little insight into what my family is thinking about when it comes to politics. No judgments, just curiosity...

I am not an expert, but I will go out on a limb and say that, in my humble opinion, we are going to have a new president in 2008. I will also venture to say that the new president could be a man or a woman...or even a mormon. So who are you pulling for?

I personally would like to see Obama take the democratic nod into '08 but I am afraid that is somewhat of a pipedream (especially with his small fumbles as of late). I prefer his common sense approach to health care reform, his track record with the war and his views revolving around civil liberties (habeus etc...).

Having recognized that Obama will likely lose out to the sexier Clinton, I admit that I plan on voting for her over the Italian Stallion, The Stormin' Mormon or even the 2nd coming of Ronald Reagan. The main reasons for my decision to vote for a democrat are, 1. the way I feel a democrat will deal with the "war on terror", 2. supreme court appointees, 3. Civil liberties issues. Lets be honest, the rest of the issues are more subtle differences of opinion...

7 comments:

Jayme said...

Chris:

We readers notice everything (thanks to Google Reader). Its nice to have you back. The presidential race will be fun this year, if only because the final four will not include a protestant white guy. I'm very curious to see how non-factors like race, gender and religion play out with joe voter. When it comes down to it, I think the electorate makes decisions on rhetoric and window dressing. This always saddens me.

Here's what I think (in a nut shell) on the issues you identified in your post:

1. Other than the fact that the leading Republican candidates are hawks, I'm not sure how party affiliation will affect the war on terror, nor do I think that a change in party leadership, standing alone, will help us save the sinking ship that is Iraq. I'm of the opinion that we made a severe mistake, one that may never be righted regardless of who we elect to the white house.

2. I miss justice White.

3. Big Brother is watching.

BTW, I read about Harry Reid's visit to BYU. He had interesting things to say.

Finally, I take issue with your statement that the other issues are subtle differences in opinion. What about immigration? The chasm is wide on that one.

Allison said...

Welcome back Chris, we've missed you. In regards to your question....

Just as with real politics, I will sit back and watch other people's opinions on the matter, then ask Spencer what I should do. I figure it is the most responsible thing I can do as an American, and as a family member.

Spencer Davis said...

I would love to see a Gore, Obama ticket for '08. Gore because he is now a rock star and Obama because he has the Audacity of Hope. I would also love to see how the Clinton camp reacts if Gore were to enter the race. I'm sure this ticket wil never happen. Even if Gore did enter, the Clintons would just sick their hitmen on him and he would be dead.

By the way...All you females who are married should take Allison's wise advise to heart. The best thing for you all to do is just listen to you husbands.

Elyse said...

Nice....i am glad to see that people saw what i posted. Thank you google reader!

Jayme, you are spot on with most everything you said. Specifically in Iraq...the ship is sinking and even the dems are pushing back the hopeful dates of removal. I am sad that we even have the problem to deal with and i think we are there for the long haul regardless of the person at the helm...i guess i am just hopeful that a "regime" change might spark a change in iraq...

I also agree with you that there are some serious differences of opinion...i sad "more" subtle differences of opinion--as in more subtle than the others i mentioned. When i worked at Reid's, i did only immigration stuff so i saw first hand what you are talking about. I loved his visit to BYU btw...

thanks for responding everyone--this is what i was hoping for.

ps...spencer--i admire that your wife defers judgment to you, but why do you allow her to post on the internet...tighten that leash, my friend

Chantalle said...

You "boys" are so funny...HAR, HAR!

I wish Edwards had a shot. I am leaning Obama...but really would like to see Oprah as his running mate ;)

Unknown said...

And I thought you guys were Mormons.

Unknown said...

Remember how you blogging again? How about Obama now?